Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Three days to go and our club members are adding to our cumulative word count at a furious pace.  Today we are at 573,819!  I'm at 45,500 (my numbers aren't included in the group count because I log in with an educator's profile) so combined we have definitely passed the 600,000 mark!  


It looks like Katya finished!  Congrats!  This is her second win with NaNoWriMo!!!


Last night I wrote a new opening for my book.  It doesn't replace the existing opening.  It just moves it further into the story.  It's a flashback technique that I repeat later in the climax of the book.  The idea came as a total surprise to me while I was writing.  And that's why I LOVE this contest.  


Normally, when we write, it's usually for a school assignment or work, and we tend to feel constricted right out of the gate.  What does the teacher expect of me?  What are the rubrics on which I will be graded?  What opinions or perspectives will my employer expect to see?  But with Nanowrimo, you write and write and write just to see where your creativity will take you.  It's like pointing your car in the general direction of the east coast and seeing if you end up in Maryland or Maine.  If it's total junk, toss it.  But sometimes, and more often than not, your unleashed creativity will reveal an inner thought or totally bizarre idea that you would have never discovered within the previously stated constraints.  It's all about the joy of discovery and stretching yourself beyond your limitations.


So, now that I've typed my daily warm-up, I'm going to crank out a few thousand words.  


Hang in there, Wrimos!  Three more days and then we can collapse at the finish line with insane, delirious grins on our faces.




*************
My word count update:  48,143/50,000
1,857 more words to go and I'm finished!  Woohoo!


Mrs. P.

No comments:

Post a Comment