Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Totally Cool

NaNoWriMo Kick-Off
It was totally cool.  

Forty-six writing club members met in my classroom after school yesterday with laptops and headphones, wearing the determined expressions of marathoners awaiting the bang of the starting gun.  

3 -  2  - 1.  It's NaNoWriMo time...

To fuel our writing engines, we stuffed ourselves with pizza, cookies and soda, and snuggled into our respective creative grooves.

After the last bell of the day, my classroom becomes a sacred writing place, a place of total focus and absolute respect for the creative process.  I turn the lights low, and blast music through my headphones, drowning out the day's events and concerns.  In this roomful of people, I was comfortably alone in my own world, yet surrounded by writers working toward a common goal.  
Sometimes I just have to reflect on the coolness of it all, because when you really think about what we're doing, it's absolutely amazing.    

Forty-six writing club members typed furiously, each creating their own worlds from their own unique recipes of characters, plots and conflicts.  Fourth graders sat beside eighth graders.  No boundaries here.  We are all writers, all sharing the same moment.
It was a totally cool moment that I will never forget.  

And that's what I love the most about NaNoWriMo.  

The coolness.

No comments:

Post a Comment