Wednesday, November 16, 2011

NaNoWriMo - Day 16

I have written twenty-five chapters so far (25,000 words), and that may seem like an impressive number to someone who is not participating in this endeavor (like well-meaning relatives on Thanksgiving,  "You wrote 25 chapters?  Fab-u-lous, dahling!")

The 25 chapters are what I call skeletal chapters.  Each chapter contains characters, plot, conflict and dialogue that further the storyline.  But those characters are nakee (eeeek!) and need some clothes (pulhease!), and the dialogue is pretty basic ("Huh?" "Wha?"), so I'm going back to each chapter and flesh them out.

This is not editing, so don't freak out and report me to the NaNo Police!  OMG!  At this point in the writing process, I've said all I need to say to make the story work, but it's oh so flimsy in some places!  Time to add some backbone and muscle (hoo-rah!).

I'm going to add setting, annotations (he said, she said, they cheered, yada yada), and reactions and actions, like...

"Oh, really?" she sniffed, shifting the long-stemmed glass of wine to the other well-manicured hand.

That kinda of stuff. 

These tasks will make my story more believable and increase my word count.

Now, if I could just find my headphones...

No comments:

Post a Comment