Saturday, November 7, 2009

Week 1, Day 7

Need inspiration?  Here's what I do...

This morning I took a moment to read two chapters of a chick lit paperback novel called While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky.  I enjoy the author's writing style and decided to analyze the structure of her story to see if I could determine such elements as characterization, plot, setting, and how she incorporated them into this bestselling book.

1.  She begins the novel with one sentence that reveals the problem.  The main character, Molly, is completely frustrated with the relationship she has with her older sister, Robin.  The book is about how she comes to terms with that problem.

There were days when Molly Snow loved her sister, but this wasn't one.

It's a common problem.  How many of us have siblings?  Where are we in the pecking order of the family?  The first-born, the middle child, the youngest?  This author chose to write about sibling conflict and drew me in with this sentence.  I also sense the main character might feel a bit of guilt about not loving her sister all of the time. 

2.  The author doesn't spend paragraphs of prose explaining the setting of the story.  She weaves it into the action of the story so the plot keeps moving forward.  Sometimes, when I read a book with too much backstory, I skim over it.  I skimmed over much of Breaking Dawn (sorry, Stephenie!)  Too much detail can result a disengaged reader.

She pulled mail from the roadside box,
without asking herself why her sister never did it...


That sentence tells me two things - Molly is the dutiful sister who takes care of business and her sister does not need to, or have to, take responsibitlity for anything but herself.

3.  The author endears her main character to me by explaining why the character is so frustrated with her sister.  Again, she weaves the main character's thoughts and actions together while she moves the story foward.  I found myself liking the main character and disliking her sister by the end of the first chapter.

It seemed like running monopolized their lives.

In this section, the author reveals that the sister's professional running career is the priority with everyone in the family and that the younger sister, Molly, is supposed to cater to her older sister's needs and career goals.

So, if you find yourself needing inspiration or a jumpstart to get writing, my suggestion is to read with a critical eye a few chapters of a your favorite book .  See if you can figure out what made the book so successful.  You don't have to read the whole book - usually the first or second chapter is sufficient.  Then get back over the keyboard and write!  write!  write!  (or rather - type!  type!  type!)


No comments:

Post a Comment