Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Week 1, Day 3

I believe the only way to accomplish a goal is to set it in front of you and let nothing deter you from reaching it.  We've decided to undertake this crazy venture - 50,000 words in 30 days.  It really is insane if you pause and reflect.  And yet, if you are really a writer, you will see this as a challenge and a relief.  A challenge because it's an opportunity to race against the clock and our personal best.  A relief because we have a reason to write and a community with which to share our excitement and concerns.

So, some of you are experiencing writer's block.  Been there, done that, will be there again.  Here's what I do to overcome.  Try these suggestions.

1.  Create a journal (like this blog) and write for a few minutes to "loosen up".
2.  Don't start at the beginning of the novel.  Start somewhere that interests you.  Write about that topic, then skip to something else.  Do what motivates you or makes you feel.  Then go back and "glue" it all together.
3.  Don't try to be perfect.  Just write.  Let your voice permeate your writing.  Just say it without thinking about proper tense or sentence structure.  Write like you speak.  Edits are for later.
4.  Work on something technical, like draw storylines, create character tables with lists of qualities and traits.  How old is your protagonist?  What does he/she want?  What does he like to eat?  Who are his friends?  What are her fears?  Fleshing out your character will help you develop a backstory that will give your reader the information he needs to understand motive.
5.  Write exposition.  What is the setting?  How does it smell?  Feel?  Is it cold?  Is it slushy and nasty? 
6.  Write some dialogue.  How about an argument?  Maybe a lover's spat? 

Sometimes I just write whatever comes to my head and then a creative idea strikes me and I'm off and running.

A writer writes.  Everywhere.  Anytime.  Today our writing group met during lunch.  We ate and typed furiously.  It was a beautiful moment.

I wrote about 500 words in that span of time.  Then I brought my laptop with me to the Barrow Neurological Institute where my 12th grader had an interview in a lab.  While she was busy doing her thing, I was busy doing mine.  I found an outlet and typed 2,000 words.  Afterwards, while I waited for my 10th grader to finish band practice, I sat in the back of my SUV in the parking lot and typed another 400 words.

A writer writes.  Everywhere.  Anytime.

2 comments:

  1. I try to write just where I want and go back and glue it together. But I always loose interest, and so I'm forcing myself through starting at the beginning but I'm afraid I'll loose my ideas! Wah! X( Writing is confuzzling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I start to lose interest, I stop writing. I ask myself what I can write (to further the story) that will make me FEEL something. That always piques my interest.

    For instance, in my current book, Pamela sits with her brother on the sofa and talks to him during a football game. To write this scene, I imagined the feelings I have for my own brother. I remembered specific events in our relationship that were special and meaningful. Then I transferred those emotions to paper as I wrote that scene.

    I also listen to music. Pandora.com has a great selection of music that will put your creative mind into a variety of moods. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete