Monday, November 2, 2009

Week 1, Day 2

I just got home from work and can't wait to write.  Unfortunately, I have to leave again and won't be able to work on my manuscript until 10:00p tonight.  But - no excuses, right?  If you want to write, you have to make the time.  So, I'll skip the evening news or reading a book and instead I'll write a book. 

During lunchtime, several of my students came to my classroom and continued working on their manuscripts.  I'm so proud of them!  I've also posted the names of my students (on my classroom whiteboard) who are participating in this NaNoWriMo event.  We're going to track our progress throughout the month.  I am also going to blog daily.  I welcome everyone to make comments, ask questions and/or suggestions.  Let's create a literary community amongst the NaNoWriMo participants!  And those of you who are not writing but are just enjoying reading this blog, welcome to you.  We'd love to hear from you.

I'll log back in tonight after I've written my daily quota.

TTFN

Ok, I'm back.  I wrote 1,891 words tonight.  Not as many as I'd hoped but it's late and I'm getting sleepy. 

My character Pamela has recently moved to a new city.  In this chapter, she is excluded from the neighborhood girls who do not want her to join their clique.  Pamela's homesickness is consuming and her pain is heartwrenching.

Blog thoughts for the day - what kind of friend am I?  Do I reach out to others or am I consumed with myself?  Am I threatened by the presence of someone new who might change the relationships I have developed with others?  Am I afraid I will be the one on the outside looking in?

12 comments:

  1. Hi! This is Stephen. (Don't ask about the Tanner its a long story) anyway I was wondering if I could come in at lunch to work on my story: It's Going to Steal Our Moon!.
    Anyway, TTFN, Ta-Ta-For-Now!
    Stephen B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Stephen:

    I love the title of your book! How intriguing!

    Hi, Stephen:

    My lunchtime is "B" at 12:08a. I think your lunchtime is "A". You can come to my classroom at 7:30a before school and use the laptops. I also suggest you go to the media center during your lunchtime. You can also come to my class after school (after 7th hour), but that time will vary. Come see me for more details. I'll write you a pass, if you want. Keep writing!!!! (-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs. Procopio, it's Amanda!

    I had writer's block and decided to come say hi, and thanks so much for introducing me to this program! It's probably THE BEST CONTEST EVER!
    I'm really glad I can share what I'm doing with all the school participants...I never knew I could write this much until I got a deadline and support...I have never even gotten past eight consecutive pages (I skip around a lot) before I got a deadline and support! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi this is Sabrina! I just wanted you to check out my blog at:
    http://sabrinarayesevrythingrandom.blogspot.com/
    See you at school tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Amanda and Sabrina:

    I am so glad to see your posts and welcome you to my blog. We are developing a community of writers who will support each other and see each other to the very end on November 30th!

    See you both tomorrow.

    Keep writing!

    Mrs. P

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok... I think i found it!!! It's Kaitlin..... :D
    I am also having writer's block!! I have about the first 8 pages done, but now I'm stuck... The "problem" has kind of already occurred (sort of...)and I have no idea how to prolong my novel now!!! HELP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe try making it a dream. Or better yet make an even bigger problem (or a bigger version of the current problem) occur later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. huh??? Sorry. Im kinda slow! I kind of have an idea... but dont know if it will work out... *TEAR* Im writing a murder/kidnapping mystery, so I will just go between the girl and her family...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Kaitlin:

    See my Day 3 blog to help you with writer's block. With a murder/kidnapping story, there's so much backstory to create. Does the murder happen in the beginning or at the end? Focus on answering these questions: Who? What? When? Where? Why? How? What's the motive of the "killer". What's the background of the victim. When does it take place? Does the setting help the murderer? Without sounding mean, if we don't know anything about the characters, we won't care that anyone dies. Make us feel something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Stephen:

    Thanks for making suggestions to help solve Kaitlin's dilemna. Keep writing!

    Mrs. P

    ReplyDelete