Friday, November 6, 2009

Week 1, Day 6

When I began NaNoWriMo last Sunday, I had a vague idea of where I was headed with the story.  I knew I wanted to write about a girl who moved from one location to another and was having difficulties dealing with the transition.  I knew she would have a family and a dog.  I also determined she would be about twelve years old and have a best friend with whom she was extremely close yet had to leave behind in her previous town.  I also knew she would have to face difficulties as she struggled to fit into this new place.

Here are her problems:

1.  Everyone in her family has found their niche and assume she is doing the same.
2.  Even though her family loves her, they are too excited and busy with the new town to understand why she is having difficulties.  They question if she is being stubborn.
3.  The social groups at the new school are not open to accepting this new "member".
4.  The girls with whom she eventually becomes "friends" are involved in activities that get her in trouble, such as stealing. 
5.  She has to take a stand for herself and make her own way.

Based upon these basic premises, I have been writing each day, taking each of the above-mentioned topics and writing as I felt inspired.  I have now written enough that I am able to assign working chapter titles and assign them positions on my storyline map.  I have now determined the exposition, catalyst, rising action, climax and denouement (falling action).  These elements, of course, are subject to change, but at least I have a more definitive direction in which to move my story.

I urge you to do the same.  If you go to the ywp.nanowrimo.org website, you will see a link for three different Young Novelist Workbooks.  You can either download these .pdf files or print specific sections.  Look for the plot rollercoaster on pg. 19 of the high school workbook.  This rollercoaster is probably also in the other two workbooks.  This plot rollercoaster is just like the storyline map we use in CB05 Animation Studio.  If you're my animation student, you'll probably recognize it (hey - you'd better!!!!)

Anyway, use this plot rollercoaster to help you develop your road map.  It's a tried and true method.  I wrote my novel "Butterfly" with it and it really helped to keep me on track (no pun intended!)

This weekend is your chance to do some serious writing.  Forget tv.  Do your homework (of course) and clean your room.  After that - WRITE!  You can always hang with your friends or watch a movie AFTER November 30th.  At that time, you can brag about how much writing you accomplished during this contest.

Keep writing...

No comments:

Post a Comment