Tuesday, June 1, 2010

June 1, 2010

I've been reading an excellent book by Judy Blundell titled "What I Saw and How I Lied". I picked up this book at a book fair and was smitten by Chapter 1. It is succintly written, intriguing and descriptive. I read six chapters while waiting during cello and swim lessons this morning. It feels good to have time to read again.

And...this book has confirmed what I've thought for the past year. I need to rewrite "Butterfly" in first person.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Am I insane?

But seriously, I've noticed that the YA books my students love are written in 1st person. I've never written in first person. It always struck me as self-indulgent and arrogant. "I did this..." "I did that". "I, I, I..."

And yet...

First person seems to draw readers into the minds and motives of the main characters more quickly and provides the opportunity for readers to care about the emotional well-being of the main characters.

So, I'm off to run errands and then I'll come back and take a closer look at this proposition of insanity.

Somebody stop me!

BTW - Kaitlin Farley published her NaNoWriMo book "Obscure Destiny" with Create Space.

https://www.createspace.com/3457836

Congratulations, Kaitlin! I am proud of you!

TTFN

K~

No comments:

Post a Comment