Wednesday, October 26, 2011

It's All in a Name

I think one of the most difficult tasks when writing a novel is determining the names of your characters.  I've been mulling over the names and each time I think I've made a decision, someone reads my list and says "Ewww.  That name reminds me of my friend's cousin's neighbor's brother who is a real jerk!" 

It's difficult to find a name that does not have some type of association attached, whether favorable or not.  Names have meanings, and your character's nature is reflected in the meaning.  Would you name a gentle, artist-type "Thor" or tough football player "Pansy"?

I remember when the author Kaza Kingsley visited our school  a few years ago.  She is the author of the popular series Eric Rex.  She explained how she solves the problem of naming her characters.  "Create them," she said, by combining the first half of one name with the last half of another. 

Here are a few examples:

Maxwell + Johnson = Maxson or Johnwell

Sarah + Jennifer = Sarfer or Jeniah

Noah + Abigail = Nogail or Abiah

If you don't like this idea, and prefer traditional naming systems, check out this link...

Baby Name Explorer

1 comment:

  1. Awesome idea. I will be using this in the future.

    ReplyDelete